Sunday, November 16, 2008

To be sung with Scottish Brogue:


I would walk 500 miles,
And I would 500 more
Just to be the man who walks a thousand miles to fall down at your door.

Da da da da!

And if you seriously can't sing along with me (how sad):

http://search.playlist.com/tracks/i%20would%20walk

So, my birthday is coming up. And this one's not just any birthday. It's the Big 3-0. I remember when my parents were in their thirties. They were grown-ups.

As a birthday present to myself, I'm setting a goal to walk, not 500, but 100 miles by the happy occasion.

This isn't a weight loss goal, although that'd be nice. Nor will this excuse me from gym time. And I'm not counting the walks I take around Walmart...you know, that purposefully, poorly designed store that sucks you in and only spits you out until after you've spent 3 hours and 3 times as much money as you'd planned. (Aaaaaanyway...)

Walking 100 miles will not be difficult. But it will take a concerted effort to getter-done. (Yes, I did just use the words "getter done" and "concerted effort" in the same sentence. I'm conflicted.)

In order to accomplish this goal, I will need to walk an average of 11.1111111 miles per week.

So, will you help me? You don't have to walk a mile in my shoes, you can just walk a mile beside them.

It'll be the cheapest birthday present you ever bought.

7 comments:

The Ashdowns said...

I'm trying to get over a sickness but once that's over with I would be HAPPY to walk beside you. That's kind of a neat goal you have going on over there.

MLP said...

I’ll walk with you – just like old times in the cemetery. Did you ever find it odd that “Happy Hollow” is next to the cemetery? Or how we never saw people actually there to pay their respects (they were all walking like us)?

Sonja said...

I love walks! I'll go with you anytime! (Except early mornings...I'm not so pretty in the early mornings...nor am I very nice. I wouldn't want you to see that.)

Jana and Mario said...

Happy Birthday L(yes I know it is a little late)! I always remember your b-day cuz its the day that I wanted Gabriella to be born!

Reluctant Nomad said...

I've been a slow starter and I'm still not ready YET to begin, but I love this idea. I'll be starting it soon (soon!).

***Maralise

Days of Our Lives said...

This has always been one of my favorite songs. Sorry I'm too far away to walk with you!

Becky

S & C said...

Well, I'll join you too. I always enjoyed walking with you. However, (hehe) I think it would have helped if you had a spring birthday instead. :-)